About Me

My photo
1970 graduate of Hemingway High, Hemingway, S.C. 1973 graduate of Francis Marion College, Florence, S. C. (History - B. A.) 1973 Human Relations Award (Chesterfield County School District, S. C.) 1981 M. Ed. (University of S. C.) 1982 Teacher of the Year (St. James Middle School, Myrtle Beach, S. C.) 1988 Most Inspirational Teacher Award (Conway Chamber of Commerce) 1989 South Carolina Governor’s School Teacher Recognition Award 1991 Most Inspirational Teacher Award (Horry County) 1992 Most Inspirational Teacher Award (Horry County) 1992 South Carolina U. S. History Teacher of the Year (D. A. R.) 1992 South Carolina House of Representatives Award for Outstanding Achievements 1993 Teacher of the Year (Socastee High, Myrtle Beach, S. C.) 1993 Horry County District Teacher of the Year 1993 South Carolina Honor Roll Teacher of the Year 1998 Wellman, Inc. Golden Apple Award 2000 International Baccalaureate Shuford-Beaty Award (Excellence in Teaching) 2003 International Baccalaureate Shuford-Beaty Award (Excellence in Teaching) 2004 Joseph B. Whitehead Educator of Distinction Award 2005 International Baccalaureate Shuford-Beaty Award (Excellence in Teaching)

Sunday, March 13, 2011

TERI Thoughts (Oct. 25, 2010)




Members of the Board:

Whenever I entered the TERI program eight years ago, I did so with the understanding that it stood for Teacher Employment Retention Initiative.  Never did I dream it would become the Teacher Employment Reduction Initiative.  I attended numerous meetings and posed many questions, the primary question being whether or not I could continue to teach after my five year TERI period ended.  I was always told “yes” and that there were no negative ramifications to making the decision to technically retire early.  There was never any talk of being an at-will employee.  If I had known then what I know now, that there would be a possibility of employment termination or even salary reduction, I would have never retired in the first place. 

I teach because I love it.  The reason I entered TERI was because it was highly encouraged by educational leaders around the state.  A program was being offered that was attractive in planning my future and for the needs of my wife and four children.  Future needs were considered and plans made accordingly.  Of course, that future is potentially jeopardized by plans being considered to either eliminate my position or to institute reductions in salary and benefits.  Neither is very appealing.

Of course, I understand the responsibility which rests upon your shoulders in these difficult economic times.  A reported $17 million shortfall is not pocket change.  Also, as a fiscal conservative, I am very mindful of how taxpayer dollars are spent.  I respect you and the need to make every dollar count.  It is for that reason that I urge you to consider how valuable people with tremendous experience and expertise can be.  They cannot easily be replaced.  If you are only looking at the bottom line, dollars, you will probably be making a terrible mistake.

The most money you could save by eliminating every at-will employee in this district is about $2 million, and that is only if you replace each with a new employee at the very bottom of the salary schedule.  What would be lost in terms of experience and expertise would be incalculable.  In addition, reductions in salaries, albeit legal, would be tremendously demoralizing.  What message would you be sending?  Would it be that I am no longer a valued asset but have become a liability?  After all, I am not costing the district a single penny more.  Retired people come from other states under contract and get full benefits, making as much as I do or more, yet I become expendable or see a reduction in my compensation after 38 continuous years of devoted service in my home state.  Is that justice?

Cuts indeed have to be made, time is short, and decisions heartwrenching, but I caution you to consider that you are dealing with many flesh and blood issues.  I know you will not make these decisions lightly.  For that reason, I would ask that you lay before the public and the press major proposals or possibilities for budget-trimming.  Details of costs for possible furlough days, costs and the particular ramifications of moving to a seven period day for high schools, costs of major programs, and others would be very helpful to the public in making recommendations to the board.  The public needs greater involvement in this process.


As representatives of the taxpayers of this district, it is difficult for you to always know exactly what the public thinks, but it is even more difficult for the public to know what it thinks unless all the cards are laid on the table.  Before this board takes a drastic step that might impact the lives of at-will employees, I urge you to make available to the public all the possible proposals for the coming fiscal year.  A healthy debate and public discourse should get us closer to our common goal – keeping the Horry County School District the best place to work in the state of South Carolina.



Sincerely,
 Bobby Chandler

722 Pine Drive
Surfside Beach, S. C.  29575



Horry County Schools
District Office
Conway, S. C.
October 25, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment