About Me

My photo
1970 graduate of Hemingway High, Hemingway, S.C. 1973 graduate of Francis Marion College, Florence, S. C. (History - B. A.) 1973 Human Relations Award (Chesterfield County School District, S. C.) 1981 M. Ed. (University of S. C.) 1982 Teacher of the Year (St. James Middle School, Myrtle Beach, S. C.) 1988 Most Inspirational Teacher Award (Conway Chamber of Commerce) 1989 South Carolina Governor’s School Teacher Recognition Award 1991 Most Inspirational Teacher Award (Horry County) 1992 Most Inspirational Teacher Award (Horry County) 1992 South Carolina U. S. History Teacher of the Year (D. A. R.) 1992 South Carolina House of Representatives Award for Outstanding Achievements 1993 Teacher of the Year (Socastee High, Myrtle Beach, S. C.) 1993 Horry County District Teacher of the Year 1993 South Carolina Honor Roll Teacher of the Year 1998 Wellman, Inc. Golden Apple Award 2000 International Baccalaureate Shuford-Beaty Award (Excellence in Teaching) 2003 International Baccalaureate Shuford-Beaty Award (Excellence in Teaching) 2004 Joseph B. Whitehead Educator of Distinction Award 2005 International Baccalaureate Shuford-Beaty Award (Excellence in Teaching)

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Teachers, Please Speak Up (Oct. 24, 2010)

Sun News
Myrtle Beach, S.C.
Editorial (Oct. 24, 2010)
"Educators Have Rights, Too"


To the Editor:
 
Issac Bailey’s recent column, "Teachers, please speak up," urges teachers to let their public voices be heard in response to significant issues involving the Horry County School District. Their noticeable absence concerns him. He states that he has heard from many who are fearful to share with administration and publicly, for "all say they will endure scrutiny and heartache if they do."  Although this has not been my personal experience, I do believe we need to listen to our teachers.

As an at-will teacher with no continuing contract status for the past three years, I am very thankful to be serving in my 38th year in S. C.. With Horry County Schools since 1978, I transferred to Socastee High School to teach Advanced Placement U. S. History in 1982. I have been a history instructor in Socastee High School’s International Baccalaureate program since its inception in 1999.  Bailey’s plea for teachers to speak up has been my plea since 1997 when I first began to challenge the implementation of block scheduling in our high schools. My subsequent challenges have focused on such things as strategic planning, teachers’ free speech issues, and our current Coherent Governance polices.  In my many challenges of administration and the school board since 1997, I have acted with utmost respect and have been accorded the same. Everything I have done has been with the best interests of my students and public education in mind. In each case, I have been careful to know my rights and responsibilities as a teacher, to follow the law, and to scrutinize school district policies. I have never received a reprimand or retribution of any kind, and I continue to speak out, as my conscience demands. I do so even though I know that as an at-will employee I can be terminated at any time, for whatever reason the district desires. Nevertheless, Bailey’s challenge for teachers to speak up will largely go unheeded.

Teachers are belittled, pressured, and bullied by some administrators, if they take issue with practices and ideas they deem to be inappropriate. The fear of reprimands, non-desirable duties and teaching assignments, transfers, and even job loss prevent most from confronting decision makers with their constitutionally protected rights and responsibilities to act in the best interest of students and the public.

Of course, not all administrators are guilty of this type of behavior, and there are times teachers deserve negative consequences for poor job performance and failure to follow reasonable administrative directives. Insubordination is inexcusable, but this does not include respectful challenges, inquiries, and differences of opinion, whether public or private, with administration on issues that involve what is best for public education..

Contrary to much thinking, teachers have the right and responsibility to speak and act as advocates for students and the taxpaying public to which they belong. They should not give these up at the school house door. Teachers are citizens first and employees second. The courts have ruled that the first amendment guarantee of free speech especially applies to those in the public sector acting on behalf of public interests.

Although my treatment by this district and my school administration has been excellent, I , like Issac Bailey, have heard from many who have very real fears. I urge Horry County Schools to deal with those administrators who will not show respect to teachers who respectfully and conscientiously disagree openly on any given issue. The climate that we teachers are expected to create for our students in our classrooms should be fostered and nurtured by all administrators and our school board. Fear, be gone.
 
 
Sincerely,
Bobby Chandler
 
722 Pine Drive
Surfside Beach, S. C. 29575
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment